Tash-Khauli Palace Complex of Khiva’s khans is one of the best examples of Asian secular architecture of the 19th century. The building activities on the site started in 1831 and it took the architects Tajiddin and Kalandar 10 years to complete the construction. Tash-Hauli (‘Stone Yard’) is situated at Palvan-Darvoza Gate and is a huge complex incorporating splendid ceremonial and living structures enclosed by a continuous castellated brick wall. At each corner of the complex there is a medium-size guldasta turret with lantern tops. The total number of rooms in the complex is 163.